Instagram is a fun app that allows users to share and comment on photos. But can it really be used to drive traffic?
Getting traffic from Instagram isn’t as straightforward as some methods, but it can be done. In fact, when used correctly, Instagram can be a wonderful source of traffic. Here are some tips for maximizing its potential.
- Include a link in your profile. It sounds obvious, but it’s easy to forget. While your profile is probably not the number one way that users will reach your site, it’s important to make sure that they can do so if they choose.
- Watermark your photos. A watermark is most often used as a means of preventing photos from being used by unauthorized sources, but one that includes your web address is also a good way to promote your site through your Instagram images. It doesn’t have to be fancy, but it should be attractive. It should also be light and unobtrusive enough that it won’t detract from the image it’s placed on.
- Include links in your captions. Captions are great for driving traffic, but only if your links do not appear spammy. Make sure that your caption is interesting and makes sense without the link, and link to a page that is relevant to the image if possible.
- Link to fresh content. Post images related to your latest blog post or press release, and include a brief introduction in the caption along with a link. Give viewers just enough information to get them interested, and make them click through to learn more.
- Link to more photos. If a user is interested in one photo, they will probably be interested in related photos. Instead of posting them all on Instagram, post one or two and include a link to a gallery on your site that they must follow if they want to see the rest.
- Post only a small portion of the photo. Use photo editing software to crop a small portion of a photo and post it on Instagram – for instance, a face with a funny expression. Invite viewers to click a link to your site to see the rest of the photo and find out what was going on.
Instagram’s immense popularity makes it an ideal source of traffic if you know how to use it. All you have to do is put links in the right places and find ways to pique the user’s curiosity.